About this Blog

After banging my head in frustration over the obsession everyone around me had with procreation, I went online to find a community of people who were more like me. I have met some fascinating people along the way, but I have also found that many in the childfree community are quite hostile toward Christianity and a Christian world view. I understand that, unfortunately, many of my Christian sisters and brothers have given them a lot of ammunition (undoubtedly, I have been guilty of this at times too). Not wanting to be perceived as "trolling" for expressing my Christian perspective on other people's forums and blogs, I use my own blog to share my musings on childfree life while at the same time expressing my faith.

My intention is to show support to childfree people, both Christian and non-Christian, but from my own Christian perspective. Questions and constructive comments are welcome; negativity and intolerance are not.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

On the Upswing

Near the end of The Magician's Nephew, C.S. Lewis wrote, "When things go wrong, you'll find they usually go on getting worse for some time; but when things once start going right they often go on getting better and better."  This seems to sum up the past several months for my husband and me!

I hesitate to divulge too much about our situation lest I "out" myself, but suffice it to say that months dragged on in a downward spiral, but by the grace of God and the help of some amazing doctors, suddenly things began to improve.  I am sure I will never understand why God allows life-threatening illness in the first place, but he has definitely shown us great compassion throughout the ordeal.

And throughout this time, we have had several people finally acknowledge what a blessing it is for us to not have children... "My gosh, you must be especially glad right now that you don't have kids," or "It must be a relief that you don't also have children to worry about."  Yes, yes it is.  This may also influenced by the fact that, while there is no clear evidence that the issue we face is hereditary in our case, this condition tends to run in families.  When I consider that we could have condemned another person to suffer what we have been through, I am grateful that I will never have to carry that burden of guilt.

For now, we continue to enjoy things going right and getting better and better.

7 comments:

  1. I am happy you are doing well, and things are going better for the two of you these days... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. After going through the illness and recovery it gives you a special appreciation of what a good day, hour and moment is. I am so glad that you are both enjoying life and each other. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent news! I pray that you guys continue to be well. I have missed your very insightful and witty posts, but knowing that you and your loved ones are on the upswing is definitely most important =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    Are you and your husband doing well? Haven't seen you writing anything in here over a year. I hope you are both fine!

    Take Care!

    -Sylvia-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sylvia, yes, thank you, we are doing very well! I must admit that my absence now has more to do with running out of things to say and running out of the energy to try, haha.

      I still feel consistent annoyance with the surrounding BABIES!BABIES!BABIES! culture, but I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said, or what to say or do to make a real, lasting, noticeable difference. The childfree online community in general seemed to keep rehashing the same grievances and fueling the us-versus-them animosity.

      But I digress. Thank you for checking in, and thank you for putting the seed in my mind to think about writing again. :)

      Delete